Vietnamese shaking beef is a culinary gem that beckons with its symphony of flavors. This delectable dish, a star in the realm of Vietnamese food, combines marinated beef, colorful vegetables, and a blend of spices. We will unravel the artistry behind concocting this flavorful masterpiece, bringing the essence of Vietnamese beef dishes straight to your kitchen.
1. What is Vietnamese shaking beef?
In the rich tapestry of Vietnamese culinary traditions, many dishes showcase the inventive use of beef. They combine various cooking techniques and a wide range of spices to bring along many beef dish variations. This culinary diversity is further enhanced by the nuanced influences absorbed through cultural exchanges with other nations. One exemplary dish is Vietnamese shaking beef, known as “bo luc lac” in Vietnamese. The term “luc lac” is inspired by “xuc xac,” referring to beef cut into cubes that resemble dice (xuc xac means dice in Vietnamese).
Drawing inspiration from European beef steak, Vietnamese shaking beef involves carefully preparing the beef, marinating it, and stir-frying it with an assortment of vegetables to achieve a delightful crispiness. The vibrant interplay of green, red, and yellow hues in the dish comes from the incorporation of bell peppers, creating a visually appealing and flavorful culinary experience. The beef boasts a tender and sweet interior. At the same time, the vegetables contribute a fresh and crunchy element. When paired with salad and french fries, this dish becomes even more enticing.
2. Authentic Vietnamese shaking beef recipe
The Vietnamese shaking beef recipe includes easily accessible ingredients and a straightforward cooking method. Regardless of your location, as long as you have beef, a few basic spices, and a quality pan, you can make your own Vietnamese shaking beef by following the recipe below.
2.1. Bo luc lac ingredients
- 400 grams of tender beef sirloin
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1/2 onion
- Garlic, shallots, green onions
- Soy sauce, sugar, brown sugar, cooking wine, salt, black pepper, cooking oil, sesame oil, butter
After having all the necessary ingredients, follow the authentic Vietnamese shaking beef recipe:
- Remove excess fat from the beef sirloin and cut into bite-sized cubes. Marinate the beef with 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of cooking wine, and 1 tablespoon of cooking oil for 10-15 minutes.
- Clean and cut the green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and onion into bite-sized pieces. Finely chop the shallots and half of the garlic. Cut the green onions into sections.
- Prepare the shaking beef sauce by mixing 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, and 1 teaspoon of sesame oil. Mix well and set aside.
- Sauté the finely chopped shallots and garlic until fragrant. Add the onion and bell peppers, stir-fry on high heat, season with spices, stir well, and transfer to a plate.
- Heat cooking oil, add the beef, and fry quickly on high heat.
- Sauté the finely chopped shallots and garlic, add the remaining garlic, pour the sauce mixture in, stir well, and add the beef to coat evenly over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of butter, stir until melted, then add the sautéed onion and bell peppers. Add some black pepper and green onions, mix well, and turn off the heat.
- Toss the Vietnamese shaking beef over high heat to achieve a crisp golden exterior while ensuring the inside is cooked enough.
- It’s advisable not to stir-fry the beef and vegetables together initially, as the vegetables’ water content can make the beef tough.
- Stir-fry the onion and vegetables over high heat quickly for a delightful crispness and sweetness. Prolonged cooking may result in a mushy texture.
- Adding whole garlic cloves enhances the flavor profile of the dish.
Besides Vietnamese shaking beef, Vietnam’s culinary landscape boasts many other delightful dishes with beef as the centerpiece. They include beef pho, Vietnamese beef salad, bun bo Hue noodles, Vietnamese beef stew, and Vietnamese beef curry. These culinary delights showcase the intricate fusion of Vietnamese cooking techniques, ensuring an unforgettable gastronomic experience on your Vietnam travel.
As you delve into the flavors of Vietnam, you can elevate your stay with the luxurious accommodations provided by Vinpearl, a leading hospitality brand in the country. Vinpearl’s exquisite hotels and resorts boast a range of amenities, including diverse dining options, serene spa retreats, vibrant shopping areas, year-round swimming pools, and even golf courses.
For an added thrill, venture into VinWonders, Vietnam’s premium network of entertainment complexes. At VinWonders, you can immerse yourself in adventure pursuits, exhilarating games, and cultural experiences.