Despite being considered a raw pearl in Hoi An, Cham Islands has become an extremely attractive destination for many domestic and foreign tourists coming to the ancient town. At this place, there are thousands of interesting things for you to explore. To know more about it, take time to read this article!
1. About Cham Islands in Vietnam
Below is some basic information about Cu Lao Cham (Cham Islands):
1.1. The location
Located in Hoi An City, Quang Nam Province, Cu Lao Cham (Cham Islands) is a 15-square-kilometer island cluster consisting of 1 main island and 8 surrounding small islands. The distance from Hoi An to Cham Islands is about 20 kilometers while it is 45 kilometers if you go on a tour from Da Nang to this island cluster.
1.2. The weather
In Cham Islands, the weather from March to August is extremely favorable with plenty of sunshine. This time is suitable for some activities such as swimming, scuba diving, sunbathing,… Meanwhile, the rest of the year – from September to February, has a lot of rainfalls and large waves so there are usually no boats to take tourists to the islands.
1.3. The ticket fee
In 2009, UNESCO recognized Cham Islands as one of the world’s biosphere reserves. Unlike other popular destinations, aside from the entrance fee, you have to pay the ecological fee when visiting this place to contribute to protecting the environment.
- The entrance fee: 70,000 VND/person
- The ecological fee: 20,000 VND/person
However, note that these ticket prices are for reference only and may vary depending on the time.
You may also like:
2. The top-rated tourist attractions on Cham Islands in Hoi An
Not only being famous for its unspoiled natural landscapes, Cham Islands also gives tourists a chance to explore the culture and religion of the locals here with many impressive attractions.
2.1. The windy strait of Cham Islands
The windy strait is located to the East of Cham Islands, about three kilometers away from the Bai Lang Residential Area. It is surrounded by the endless sea with a clear blue sky background. On your trip to Cu Lao Cham Island, this is a destination that you can hardly ignore if you want to find a place to catch the sunrise or watch the sunset.
2.2. The ancient well of the Cham people
The ancient well of the Cham people lies in Xom Cam Residential Area. At present, it is more than 200 years old and has been the only source of fresh water to be not contaminated with salt or alum on the island. The locals believe that people drinking the water of the well can get lucky in terms of love and childbirth.
2.3. Hai Tang Temple
Situated at the foot of the Western mountain of Hon Lao, Hai Tang Temple has an impressive view over a vast field. Despite the passage of time, this sacred temple still remains intact and has become a symbol of the island. Each year, thousands of pilgrims and tourists visit the temple to pray for peace as well as get away from the hustle and bustle of daily life.
2.4. Tan Hiep Market
Located right at the pier, Tan Hiep Market is a destination you should not miss when visiting Cham Island in Hoi An. Coming there, you can enjoy a lot of delicious seafood dishes and buy unique souvenirs made from shells, snails, stones,… Normally, the seafood at the market is cheaper than in the mainland because it is sold there and then after being caught.
Articles for you:
2.5. The temple of the Nest Craftsman
The Temple of the Nest Craftsman is a large-scale architectural work, classified as a national relic in 2006. It is located on a sand mound next to Cay Cua in Bai Huong. On the 10th day of the third lunar month every year, the tribute ceremony to the ancestors of bird’s nest exploitation is solemnly held at the temple. Therefore, you should visit this place on this occasion to better understand the beliefs of the locals.
3. Tips to have the best Cham Islands tour
If you have an intention to pay a visit to Cu Lao Cham Island, here is what you should know:
3.1. Try snorkeling in Cu Cham Islands
If you are looking for a fun and adventurous activity to do on your vacation in Vietnam, why not try snorkeling at Cu Lao Cham? Located just a short boat ride away from Hoi An, this picturesque island is known for its crystal-clear waters and colorful coral reefs teeming with marine life. As you dip into the cool water, you will be able to spot schools of fish darting around you, sea turtles gliding gracefully through the waves, and vibrant corals swaying gently in the current. It is an unforgettable experience that will leave you feeling exhilarated yet peaceful at the same time.
3.2. How to get to Cham Islands in Hoi An?
There are two main means of transportation to go to Cham Islands:
- By canoe: This is a time-saving way which takes visitors only around 20 minutes to go to the island cluster. It is suitable for adventure enthusiasts who desire a strong surfing feeling. The ticket fee of a canoe trip is 200,000 VND/person.
- By wooden boat: The ticket fee of a wooden boat trip is 150,000 VND for the Vietnamese and 200,000 VND for foreigners. Compared to canoeing, it takes more time to go and is not suitable for those who are prone to seasickness. If you bring a motorbike to the island, you have to pay an additional fee of 50,000 VND/motorbike.
3.3. When is the best time to visit Cham Islands?
As mentioned above, thanks to the nice weather, from March to August is the right time for a visit to Cham Islands. At this period of time, the weather is warm and sunny while the sea is calm. In particular, if you want to combine your Cu Lao Cham tour with going sightseeing in the center of Hoi An, you should go on the full moon day of the lunar month to see the most sparkling scenery of thousands of lanterns.
Articles for you:
3.4. What to eat in Cham Islands in Hoi An?
When visiting Cham Islands, you should try some well-known specialities here:
- Grilled one-sunny-day squid: This semi-dried seafood will bring you a perfect taste when being dipped into chili sauce.
- Pyramid top shell: This is a famous sea snail of the central coastal region. It can be processed in many ways such as boiling, grilling, salad…
- Abalone: There are many ways to process abalone like boiling, frying, grilling,… All of them will definitely give you a very special taste.
- Rock crab: The meat of rock crab is mouth-watering and fresh with a firm texture. It can be steamed with beer, then served with salt, pepper and lemon.
- Grilled sea urchin: This dish is usually served with scallion oil on the top, making it a unique dish that you should enjoy once.
3.5. Where to stay near Cham Islands?
At present, Cham Islands’ accommodation system is not as developed as those in other places. If you want to come to this destination, you should look for a homestay room to experience the idyllic life there. In case you need a comfortable rest space with more facilities, here’s a suggestion for you: Vinpearl Resort & Golf Nam Hoi An. This is a sail-shaped resort at Binh Minh Beach. At this place, you can see a scallop-shaped swimming pool. Also, staying there, you can enjoy many exciting activities in VinWonders Nam Hoi An and experience luxurious golfing in Vinpearl Resort & Golf Nam Hoi An.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Resort & Golf Nam Hoi An for the best trip to Cham Islands!
3.6. Other tourist attractions in Hoi An – Central Vietnam
- Hoi An Ancient Town: This is a UNESCO World Heritage site and one of the most well-known attractions in Hoi An. It is renowned for its well-preserved architecture, narrow streets, and charming lantern-lit ambiance. Visitors can explore the ancient buildings, visit traditional shops, and immerse themselves in the rich history and culture of the town.
- Seven-Hectare Coconut Forest: Visitors can explore the lush greenery and serene surroundings of the coconut forest through boat rides along the waterways. It offers a peaceful escape from the bustling city and provides a glimpse into the natural beauty of the region.
- Silk Village Hoi An: Silk Village Hoi An is a fascinating destination for those interested in traditional Vietnamese silk production. It provides a glimpse into the intricate process of silk weaving and production, from silkworm cultivation to the creation of beautiful silk products. The village also has a silk market where visitors can purchase high-quality silk items.
4. Some things you should note before visiting Cham Islands
Below are what you should pay attention to before taking a trip to Cham Islands:
- Do not bring plastic bags to Cham Islands
- Bring personal documents
- Prepare some essential things: hats, sunglasses, sandals, sunscreen, insect spray…
- Do not harm the coral reefs while taking the Cham Islands snorkeling tour
- Suggested gifts for your relatives and friends: dried seafood and fresh seafood, swallow’s nest, medicinal herbs, dried seaweed, fish sauce, souvenirs made from seashells,…
>>> Participate in more fantastic activities by booking tickets of VinWonders Nam Hoi An!
Articles for you:
5. Reviews from tourists who have been to Cham Islands
Cham Islands have captivated countless tourists, leaving them eager to share their experiences and insights.
Cham Islands is among the top must-visit tourist attractions in Hoi An. Thanks to a lot of interesting features, it attracts thousands of tourists every year. If you are a nature lover and want to satisfy your wanderlust, remember to put this place on your bucket list and come there someday.