If you have already discovered the splendor of Hanoi, why not continue your experience in Vietnam by visiting Sapa? Located about 300 kilometers away, Sapa offers travelers an opportunity to immerse themselves in the awe-inspiring natural beauty and diverse cultural traditions in Sapa. Read on to explore the best ways to get from Hanoi to Sapa and gain some essential tips to have a smooth journey.
1. What is the distance from Hanoi to Sapa?
Hanoi, as one of the most well-known tourist destinations in Northern Vietnam, receives millions of domestic and foreign visitors each year. It is well-known for its unique landmarks, which include Hanoi Old Quarter, Hoan Kiem Lake, West Lake, the Presidential Palace, and others. Tourists can also consider Hanoi as a good starting point for trips to other notable places in the region, including Sapa.
Sapa is situated in the picturesque highlands of Lao Cai Province, close to the border between Vietnam and China. Encompassed by the majestic Hoang Lien Son Mountain Range, Sapa finds itself embraced by awe-inspiring peaks, among which stands the illustrious Fansipan. Fansipan reigns as the loftiest summit in the entire region of Indochina.
The enchanting town of Sapa is approximately 38 kilometers away from the heart of Lao Cai City and around 370 kilometers away from the vibrant capital city of Hanoi.
>>> Discover top favorite destinations in Northern Vietnam!
2. How long does it take to travel from Hanoi to Sapa?
Depending on the means of transportation you choose, it will take you 5 – 8 hours on average to move from Hanoi to Sapa:
- Option 1: Driving by car along the scenic CT05 highway presents an approximately 5-hour expedition.
- Option 2: A bus ride typically takes around 6 hours.
- Option 3: A train journey from Hanoi to Lao Cai spans about 8 hours. From Lao Cai Railway Station, a delightful 65-minute road trip will take you to the captivating town of Sapa.
>>>The map of Sapa will guide you to the most charming attractions in the town!
3. How to get from Hanoi to Sapa?
3.1. From Hanoi to Sapa by motorbike or car
Among young individuals, riding a motorbike from Hanoi to Sapa is a popular option. It provides an opportunity to take in beautiful scenery and is also affordable, with motorbike rental rates ranging from around 120,000 to 150,000 VND each day.
For families, the best option is to go by car. Here are some delightful routes to drive between these locations:
- Route 1: The Noi Bai – Lao Cai Expressway brings a scenic journey from the iconic Nhat Tan Bridge, covering a distance of approximately 320 kilometers. This route is for cars only.
- Route 2: National Road 70 is the main route leading to the Northwestern provinces, spanning approximately 390 kilometers. This route is for cars and motorbikes.
- Route 3: For those craving a more immersive experience through mesmerizing landscapes, National Road 32 beckons, taking you through the captivating district of Mu Cang Chai, with a distance of about 455 kilometers. This route is for cars and motorbikes.
3.2. From Hanoi to Sapa by bus
For those in pursuit of a travel option that combines safety, affordability, and efficiency, the bus emerges as a highly recommended choice. The table below includes some crucial information for your bus trip, including some well-known bus companies, schedules, and ticket prices.
|King Express Bus
|7.00 am – 10.00 pm
|300,000 – 400,000 VND
|7.00 am – 10.00 pm
|250,000 – 650,000 VND
|Ha Son – Hai Van
|6.30 am – 11.00 pm
|250,000 – 350,000 VND
|Sapa Group Bus
|6.45 am – 10.00 pm
|G8 Open Tour
|6.10 am – 11.05 pm
|260,000 – 350,000 VND
|6.15 am – 8.15 pm
|7.00 am – 3.00 pm
|250,000 – 370,000 VND
|8.00 am – 5.00 pm
|7.00 am – 10.00 pm
3.3. From Hanoi to Sapa by limousine van
Traveling by Hanoi to Sapa limousine van is recently becoming highly preferred by tourists, owing to its top-notch quality and unparalleled convenience. The limousine van offers spacious seats adorned with curtains and a TV for your entertainment during the journey. The fare for a one-way ticket is usually between 350,000 and 500,000 VND. It is recommended that you book tickets provided by credible companies, including Dream Transport, Phuc Lam, Luxury Van, Sapa Limousine Vip, and Sapa King Limousine.
3.4. From Hanoi to Sapa by train
If you are not strapped for time, take a Hanoi to Sapa train for a more authentic travel experience in Vietnam. On the train, you can unwind while admiring the scenery as you travel between destinations at a leisurely speed. From 9.35 pm to 10.00 pm, tourists can easily catch a train, with ticket prices ranging from 150,000 to 1,200,000 VND depending on the type of seat. These trains all depart at Tran Quy Cap Railway Station and arrive at Lao Cai Railway Station.
3.5. From Hanoi to Sapa by taxi
Taxis are another means of transportation available to get to Sapa from Hanoi. Traveling by taxi can be the most pleasant option for foreigners thanks to the convenience of being picked up and dropped off at your desired spot. It is, however, the more expensive means to arrive at Sapa. A 4-seater taxi from Hanoi to Sapa will cost you around 2,400,000 VND for a round trip, whereas a 7-seater would cost you more than 3,500,000 VND.
>>> Let’s gain some information about Vietnam transport!
4. Essential tips for your tour to Sapa from Hanoi
- Plan your trip wisely by considering the weather conditions to ensure an enjoyable journey to Sapa from Hanoi.
- Create a well-organized travel itinerary to make the most of your trip.
- Pack suitable clothing based on the weather. If traveling during winter, remember to bring warm clothes, gloves, and woolen hats to stay cozy.
- If you are short on time or prefer a hassle-free experience, consider joining a comprehensive tour from Hanoi to Sapa that takes care of everything from start to finish.
- Don’t forget to carry all necessary papers, especially your ID card and driver’s license, to ensure a smooth travel experience.
>>> Read more: Vietnam where to go: The 10 UNMISSABLE places for your trip
Besides Sapa and Hanoi, you should consider visiting other charming destinations in Vietnam, such as Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang, and Ha Long, during your Vietnam travel journey. In these cities, it is highly recommended that you stay at the hotels and resorts of Vinpearl. Vinpearl presents guests with a chance to luxuriate in opulence, featuring carefully crafted lodgings, revitalizing spa treatments, and an array of fine dining choices that cater to diverse tastes.
In addition, you should not miss out on the opportunities to explore VinWonders, where you can immerse yourself in a world of thrill and excitement.
The town of Sapa is a paradise for travel enthusiasts who want to explore amazing nature, thanks to its impressive beauty. If you are planning to spend your holiday in Hanoi, you should consider booking a Hanoi to Sapa trip. Hopefully, this article will help you choose the best way to get to Sapa from Hanoi.