Knowing how to get to Sapa is the first step to embarking on a memorable journey to discover the captivating charm of this enchanting destination. In this guide, we unravel the intricacies of reaching Sapa, offering a roadmap of transportation options, routes, and insights to ensure your passage is seamless.
1. How to get to Sapa from other provinces in Vietnam?
Thanks to transportation advancements, it is now quite easy to travel to Sapa. You can choose to go by train, bus, plane, and more. The best way to reach Sapa, especially for those who live in rural areas further away, is by getting to Hanoi first, then going from Hanoi to Sapa. The distance is about 320 kilometers, taking roughly 5 to 8 hours of travel.
1.1. By train
To travel to Sapa by train, you will need to take an overnight train from Hanoi to Lao Cai, which is the closest major town to Sapa. The train journey typically takes around 8–9 hours. From Lao Cai, you can then take a bus or taxi to Sapa, which is about an hour’s drive away.
All the trains along the Hanoi – Lao Cai route run overnight. A single journey takes approximately 8 hours, with departures around 9:30 PM and 10:00 PM.
You can check the ticket prices from operators like Sapaly Express, Victoria Express, and Chapa Express. Prices range from 250,000 VND to 1,800,000 VND. The exact amount you pay depends on the class and type of seat, as well as if you have additional requests, like soft cushions.
1.2. By bus
To travel to Sapa by bus, you can find several reputable bus companies that operate routes from Hanoi and other major cities to Sapa. Some suggested bus companies include:
- Sapa Express
- Green Bus
- Inter Bus Lines
- Queen Café Bus
- Ha Son – Hai Van
Bus fares range between 180,000 VND and 500,000 VND, depending on the bus company you choose and the time you purchase your ticket.
These bus companies offer various options in terms of comfort and price. Make sure to check the schedules, ticket availability, and customer reviews before booking your bus tickets.
The bus journey from Hanoi to Sapa takes around 5 hours, but travel times may vary depending on road conditions and traffic.
If you choose to travel to Sapa by bus, it is best to do so at night, around 10 PM. You can rest during the journey, arrive early in the morning at your destination, and start exploring right away!
1.3. By plane
How to get to Sapa by plane? You will need to fly to Noi Bai International Airport in Hanoi or Dien Bien Phu Airport in Dien Bien Province. From either of these airports, continue your journey to Sapa by road, either by bus or taxi.
- From Hanoi (Noi Bai International Airport): After landing at Noi Bai Airport, you can take a domestic flight to Lao Cai Airport. From Lao Cai, take a taxi or bus to Sapa, which is about an hour’s drive away.
- From Dien Bien Phu Airport: If you are flying to Dien Bien Phu Airport, you will need to take a bus or taxi from Dien Bien Phu to Sapa. The journey may take several hours, so it is advisable to plan your travel time accordingly.
The price depends on many factors, like your departure destination and the airline you choose. If you fly into Hanoi from Ho Chi Minh, for instance, fares range from 600,000 VND to 1,700,000 VND for direct flights.
Flying to Sapa might not be the most direct option, as you would still need to travel by road after landing. However, if you prefer air travel or if there are limited options, going from Hanoi Airport to Sapa can be an alternative to consider.
1.4. By private transfers
You can also reach Sapa by arranging private transfers, such as taxis, motorbikes, or private cars.
- Taxi: You can hire a taxi for a direct transfer from your starting location to Sapa. Taxis offer convenience and comfort, but they might be more expensive compared to other options. The price range is from 2,540,000 to 4,280,000 VND, depending on the taxi company and the number of seats.
- Motorbike: If you are feeling adventurous and have experience riding motorbikes, you can rent a motorbike and ride to Sapa. It will cost around 80,000 to 130,000 VND per day. But keep in mind that this option is suitable for experienced riders, as the journey might involve challenging terrain and weather conditions.
- Private Car: Renting a private car with a driver is a popular option for a comfortable and hassle-free transfer. You can book a private car in advance from various providers. This option provides flexibility and allows you to enjoy the scenic drive to Sapa. The cost typically starts at 2,200,000 VND per day for a 4-seater.
When considering private transfers, make sure to plan ahead, check the route and road conditions, and arrange everything with a reliable and reputable service provider to ensure a safe and enjoyable journey to Sapa.
2. How to get to Sapa Vietnam from overseas?
Flying to Noi Bai International Airport in Hanoi is a common way to get to Sapa from overseas. Here are some potential flight options from various cities to Hanoi:
Remember to check for flight schedules and any travel restrictions or entry requirements due to COVID-19 before making your plans.
Once you arrive in Hanoi, you can follow the previous suggestions to travel from Hanoi to Sapa using various modes of transportation.
In Sapa, be sure to explore attractions such as Muong Hoa Valley, Cat Cat Village, Ta Phin Village, Thac Bac Waterfall, Ham Rong Mountain, and Fansipan Mountain. These are some of the best places to immerse in the region’s charm.
When staying in these other locations, you can opt for accommodations at hotels and resorts owned by Vinpearl. Vinpearl properties are known for their exceptional service, luxurious amenities, and beautiful settings, ensuring a memorable stay.
Additionally, do not miss the chance to visit VinWonders, a fantastic entertainment complex offering a wide range of entertaining activities and attractions for all ages.
This quick guide on how to get to Sapa has illuminated the pathways to reach Sapa from both within Vietnam and beyond its borders. Whether you opt for scenic train rides, convenient bus routes, or even air travel combined with road connections, each route offers a sense of adventure and anticipation. Remember to plan ahead, check schedules, and consider the unique experiences each mode of transport brings!