Are you seeking a Southeast Asia travel experience that combines the beauty of Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos? Look no further! In this article, we present an ideal 3-week Vietnam Cambodia Laos itinerary that will take you on a remarkable journey through these 3 countries. With a perfect blend of culture, history, and natural beauty, this itinerary will fulfill your wanderlust.
1. Week 1 of the ideal 3-week Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos itinerary: Vietnam
1.1. Day 1: Hanoi
For the first week of your 3-week Vietnam Cambodia Laos itinerary, let’s start your journey in the vibrant city of Hanoi. Here are some must-visit attractions and experiences for your first day:
- Immerse yourself in the historic Hanoi Old Quarter, a maze of 36 ancient streets filled with shops, cafes, and lively street vendors.
- Explore the picturesque Hoan Kiem Lake, located in the heart of the Old Quarter, and visit the sacred Ngoc Son Temple situated on an islet within the lake.
- Pay homage to Vietnam’s revered leader at Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum and discover Ho Chi Minh’s Stilt House, a testament to his humble way of life.
- Enjoy the local culinary delights, including pho, bun cha (Vietnamese vermicelli with grilled pork), egg coffee, banh mi (Vietnamese bread), Vietnamese steamed rice rolls, etc.
1.2. Day 2: Ha Long Bay
On the second day of your Vietnam Cambodia Laos itinerary, you will have the opportunity to visit Ha Long Bay, a UNESCO World Heritage Site renowned for its stunning scenery and limestone karsts. Here is what awaits you:
- Explore the magnificent caves of Ha Long Bay, including Sung Sot Cave, Thien Cung Cave, and Dau Go Cave.
- Immerse yourself in the local way of life with a visit to Cua Van Floating Village, where you can witness the daily activities of the villagers living on floating houses.
- Paddle a kayak around Mat Rong Island, soaking in the tranquility of the turquoise waters and admiring the stunning limestone karsts that dot the bay.
- Indulge in the flavors of Ha Long at Ha Long Night Market. There are a variety of must-try dishes here, such as fresh seafood, grilled squid, banh cuon (steamed rice rolls), and banh xeo (Vietnamese sizzling pancake).
1.3. Day 3: Hue
Hue, with its imperial past and architectural wonders, is a captivating city that should not be missed on your Vietnam Cambodia Laos itinerary. Here are the top experiences to have during your visit:
- Discover Hue Imperial City, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the former home of the Nguyen Dynasty emperors.
- Contemplate the sunset at Thien Mu Pagoda, which is located on a hill overlooking the Perfume River and offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
- Delight your taste buds with the flavors of Hue’s street food scene at Dong Ba Market. Some must-try dishes include banh khoai (Hue-style pancake), bun bo Hue (spicy beef noodle soup), nem lui (lemongrass skewers), and banh bot loc (translucent shrimp and pork dumplings).
- Complete your day with a mesmerizing traditional music performance along the Perfume River.
1.4. Day 4 + 5: Da Nang & Hoi An
Days 4 and 5 of your Vietnam Cambodia Laos itinerary will take you on a journey to Da Nang and Hoi An, two charming destinations that offer a blend of natural beauty, cultural treasures, and vibrant experiences.
Here are the must-have experiences in Da Nang:
- Explore Son Tra Peninsula, where you can enjoy stunning views of Tien Sa Beach, hike to Ban Co Peak for panoramic vistas, and visit the majestic Linh Ung Pagoda.
- Commence a trekking adventure in the Marble Mountains, a cluster of 5 limestone hills offering far-reaching horizons, ancient caves, and pagodas.
- Bathe yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of the local markets, such as Cho Con market and Han market, where you can find an array of delectable street food, including banh trang cuon thit heo (rice paper rolls with pork), banh xeo (Vietnamese savory pancakes), and fresh seafood.
- Witness the captivating sunrise and sunset at Nam O Reef, a spot where the sky meets the pristine coastline.
As you explore Hoi An Ancient Town, a UNESCO World Heritage Site renowned for its well-preserved architecture and enchanting atmosphere, be sure not to miss out on:
- Visit Tan Ky Old House, an architectural gem that showcases the blending of Vietnamese, Chinese, and Japanese influences.
- Cross the iconic Japanese Bridge, a symbol of Hoi An, and explore the vibrant Fujian Assembly Hall, known for its ornate decorations and tranquil courtyards.
- Take a leisurely boat ride along the Thu Bon River and experience the serene beauty of the surrounding countryside.
- Indulge in the culinary delights of Hoi An, including iconic dishes like cao lau (noodles with pork and greens), banh mi (Vietnamese baguette sandwich), and white rose dumplings.
1.5. Day 6: Ho Chi Minh City
On day 6 of your Vietnam Cambodia Laos itinerary, head to the bustling metropolis of Ho Chi Minh City, where you will discover a blend of modernity and rich historical landmarks. Here are the must-have experiences in this city:
- Visit iconic tourist attractions in the inner city, such as Notre Dame Cathedral, Saigon Central Post Office, War Remnants Museum, and Ben Thanh Market.
- Embark on a captivating journey to Cu Chi Tunnels, an extensive underground network used during the Second Indochina War.
- As night descends, dive into the lively nightlife of Bui Vien Street, brimming with bars, restaurants, live music, and entertainment venues.
- Indulge in Ho Chi Minh City’s culinary scene, where you can savor a variety of mouth-watering dishes such as Vietnamese summer rolls, broken rice, Saigon noodles, etc.
1.6. Day 7: Tay Ninh
Day 7 of your Vietnam Cambodia Laos itinerary is dedicated to exploring Tay Ninh, a beautiful province located in southern Vietnam. Here are some must-have experiences during your visit:
- Climb Ba Den Mountain, a sacred place with breathtaking views and significant spiritual importance, and Binh Thanh Towers, a historical site offering insights into the Cham civilization that once thrived in the region.
- Visit Tay Ninh Cathedral, also known as the Holy See of the Cao Dai religion, and witness its unique architecture and vibrant religious ceremonies.
- Discover the tranquil beauty of Dau Tieng Lake, a serene oasis surrounded by lush greenery, perfect for a relaxing stroll or picnic.
- Savor the local cuisine and try some traditional dishes, including banh trang tron (mixed rice paper salad), goi cuon Tay Ninh (Tay Ninh-style fresh spring rolls), and bun cha ca (fish cake noodle soup).
>>> Check out this Vietnam travel guide for the best trip to Vietnam ever!
To fully enjoy your trip in Vietnam, it is important to find a comfortable place to stay that allows you to relax and recharge. Vinpearl, a well-known hotel brand in Vietnam, offers a truly comfortable experience that is definitely worth considering. With luxurious rooms and a wide range of amenities, including swimming pools, children’s playgrounds, bars, gyms, and more, Vinpearl ensures that all your needs are taken care of during your stay.
While staying at Vinpearl, make sure to explore VinWonders, an extraordinary entertainment complex that offers thrilling games and captivating shows, adding an extra layer of excitement to your trip.
2. Week 2 of the ideal 3-week Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos itinerary: Cambodia
2.1. Day 1 + 2: Siem Reap
As you enter the second week of your Vietnam Cambodia Laos itinerary, make your way to the enticing city of Siem Reap. Here are some must-have experiences during your visit:
- Explore the awe-inspiring temples of Angkor, including the iconic Angkor Wat, Bayon, and Ta Prohm.
- Visit the bustling Pub Street and Night Market, where you can indulge in delicious street food, shop for unique handicrafts, and soak up the lively ambiance of this popular tourist area.
- Immerse yourself in Cambodian culture and arts by attending a traditional Apsara dance performance.
- Take a boat ride on the picturesque Tonle Sap Lake and visit the floating village of Kampong Phluk to witness the unique way of life of the locals.
2.2. Day 3: Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh is a captivating stop on your Vietnam Cambodia Laos itinerary, offering a blend of history, culture, and urban energy. Here are the top activities to include during your stay:
- Learn about Cambodia’s rich history and culture by visiting iconic landmarks such as the Royal Palace, Silver Pagoda, and National Museum.
- Pay homage to the victims of the Khmer Rouge regime and gain deeper insights into Cambodia’s past at Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum.
- Enjoy a relaxing stroll along the scenic riverfront promenade, Sisowath Quay, and take in the lively atmosphere of the local markets and street food stalls.
- Explore the bustling Central Market (Phsar Thmei), a vibrant hub where you can shop for local handicrafts, jewelry, clothing, and fresh produce.
2.3. Day 4 + 5: Sihanoukville
Known for its pristine beaches and lively atmosphere, Sihanoukville offers a perfect escape by the sea. Here are some must-have experiences during your visit:
- Relax and unwind on the pristine beaches of Sokha Beach, Independence Beach, and Otres Beach, where you can soak up the sun, swim in crystal-clear waters, and indulge in beachfront relaxation.
- Embark on a boat trip to the nearby islands, such as Koh Rong and Koh Rong Samloem, and discover their untouched beauty through activities like snorkeling, diving, and beachcombing.
- Indulge in the local culinary delights by feasting on freshly caught seafood dishes, from grilled prawns and fish to mouthwatering crab and lobster.
- Explore the vibrant local markets, such as Phsar Leu Market, where you can browse through local handicrafts and souvenirs, and sample delicious Cambodian street food.
2.4. Day 6 + 7: Battambang
Battambang, with its rich history and cultural charm, is a must-visit destination on your Vietnam Cambodia Laos itinerary. Here are some highly recommended experiences during your two-day stay:
- Explore the ancient temples and religious sites in Battambang, such as Wat Ek Phnom and Wat Banan, known for their intricate carvings and historical significance.
- Take a ride on the famous Bamboo Train, a unique mode of transportation that offers an exhilarating experience through the countryside.
- Discover the vibrant art scene of Battambang by exploring the local art galleries and workshops, where you can witness traditional Khmer art forms like painting, sculpture, and pottery.
- Visit Psar Nat market and sample some of the region’s specialties, such as num banh chok (Khmer noodles), bai sach chrouk (grilled pork with rice), and kralan (bamboo sticky rice).
*** When visiting Cambodia, don’t miss the chance to try the diverse and delicious flavors of Cambodian cuisine, including fish amok, bai sach chrouk, kaw sach chrouk, kuy teav, lok lak, nom ka chai, num pang, Khmer red curry, etc.
3. Week 3 of the ideal 3-week Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos itinerary: Laos
3.1. Day 1 + 2: Luang Prabang
During the first and second days of your Laos itinerary, you will travel to the enchanting city of Luang Prabang, where you can participate in the following must-have experiences:
- Rise early to witness the captivating alms-giving ceremony, where Buddhist monks walk through the streets collecting offerings from devout locals.
- Explore the UNESCO-listed Old Town, strolling along its narrow lanes lined with well-preserved colonial buildings and traditional Lao houses.
- Visit the impressive Royal Palace Museum, which showcases the rich history and royal artifacts of Laos.
- Climb up to the top of Mount Phousi to enjoy panoramic views of the city and the Mekong River, especially during sunrise or sunset.
3.2. Day 3: Vientiane
On the third day of your Laos itinerary, you will head to the bustling capital city of Vientiane, where a range of must-try experiences await you, such as:
- Visit the iconic Pha That Luang, the national symbol of Laos and a significant Buddhist stupa.
- Explore the tranquil grounds of Wat Si Saket, the oldest temple in Vientiane, known for its beautiful architecture and thousands of Buddha images.
- Take a stroll along the scenic Mekong River promenade, where you can enjoy beautiful views and observe local life.
- Marvel at the Patuxai Victory Monument, also known as the “Arc de Triomphe of Vientiane,” and climb to the top for panoramic views of the city.
3.3. Day 4 + 5: Vang Vieng
As you explore the beautiful town of Vang Vieng, make sure to experience these activities during your two-day visit:
- Embark on a kayaking trip along the Nam Song River, surrounded by stunning limestone cliffs and lush greenery.
- Explore Tham Chang Cave, a natural wonder with its impressive stalactites and stalagmites formations.
- Discover the beauty of Blue Lagoon, where you can take a refreshing swim in its crystal-clear waters or relax on its sandy shores.
- Soak in the breathtaking panoramic views of Vang Vieng from the top of the Pha Ngern Viewpoint, accessible via a short hike.
3.4. Day 6: Pakse
Pakse, situated in the southern part of Laos, is a delightful inclusion to your Vietnam Cambodia Laos itinerary, offering a myriad of must-have experiences:
- Explore the majestic Wat Phou, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the most important Khmer temples in Laos, known for its intricate carvings and stunning architecture.
- Take a boat ride along the Mekong River, where you can witness the local way of life and enjoy breathtaking views of the surrounding landscapes.
- Visit Tad Fane Waterfall, one of the most impressive waterfalls in Laos, where you can enjoy panoramic views of the cascading waters surrounded by lush greenery.
- Explore Dao Heuang Market and indulge in a diverse array of local products and flavors, from traditional textiles and handicrafts to delicious street food.
3.5. Day 7: Nong Khiaw
On the seventh day of your itinerary, venture to the town of Nong Khiaw and enjoy the following experiences:
- Embark on a memorable boat ride along the Nam Ou River, surrounded by breathtaking limestone cliffs and lush green landscapes.
- Hike to the viewpoint at Pha Daeng Mountain, where you can marvel at panoramic vistas of Nong Khiaw and its surrounding karst mountains.
- Explore the rustic villages and interact with the friendly locals, gaining insights into their traditional way of life.
- Explore the mesmerizing Tad Mook waterfall, where you can witness the cascading waters surrounded by lush greenery
*** When in Laos, be sure to indulge in the flavors of larb, tam mak houng, khao piak sen, or lam, mok pa, sai oua, khao jee sandwich, ping kai, khao niao mamuang, etc.
This ideal 3-week Vietnam Cambodia Laos itinerary offers a comprehensive exploration of three captivating countries. From the bustling streets of Hanoi to the ancient temples of Angkor Wat and the serene landscapes of Laos, this journey promises to satisfy your wanderlust. So, pack your bags today and get ready for an extraordinary adventure that will last a lifetime!
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Nha Trang, Vinpearl Hoi An, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long to enjoy exceptional amenities and services during your trip to Vietnam!