The International Day of Friendship is a special day reserved for your circle of friends. Much like family-related holidays, it is an annual celebration for people to express love and appreciation for their besties and buddies. This article will let you know more about the origin of this day and what you can do to celebrate it.
1. Date and history of the International Day of Friendship
The most common question about this occasion is probably what is the date of International Friendship Day, which takes place on July 30th each year.
The history of International Friendship Day traces back to 1958 when it was first proposed by the World Friendship Crusade. Dr. Ramon Artemio Bracho, founder of the organization, and his friends celebrated a friendship week in Paraguay in both 1958 and 1959. As the friendship week of 1959 ended on July 30, they decided to choose that day as the International Day of Friendship.
The United Nations officially recognized the International Day of Friendship in 2011, emphasizing the importance of friendship in promoting peace and building communities. This heartwarming day aims to:
- Encourage peace and harmony
- Encourage friendships across age, culture, race, etc.
- Promote unity and equality
- Practice mutual respect and understanding
While July 30 is the designated international date of this occasion, some countries celebrate their own friendship days.
- Argentina, Brazil, and Spain: July 20
- Bolivia: July 23
- Colombia: second Saturday of March
- Finland and Estonia: February 14 (Valentine’s Day)
- USA and India: The first Sunday of August
2. Fun facts about the International Friendship Day
- The fictional character Winnie the Pooh was chosen as the friendship ambassador by Nane Anaan, wife of former UN secretary general Kofi Annan.
- The Beatles released the song “With a Little Help from My Friends” on the 10th anniversary of the International Day of Friendship.
- Hallmark, a world-famous greeting card company, came up with the idea of celebrating this day.
3. Meaningful International Friendship Day quotes
Hanging out or giving gifts to your friends are probably the most common ways to celebrate this day. Aside from that, sending them a text wishing them a happy International Day of Friendship is always a nice gesture. Here are a few quote ideas for your texts or cards:
- “A true friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.” – Shania Twain
- “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one.” – C.S. Lewis
- “Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together.” – Woodrow Wilson
- “A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.” – Walter Winchell
- “Friendship is the sweetest form of love.” – Unknown
- “A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future, and accepts you just the way you are.” – Bernard Meltzer
- “Friendship is not about who you have known the longest, but about who came and never left your side.” – Yolanda Hadid
- “True friendship multiplies the good in life and divides its evils. Strive to have friends, for life without friends is like life on a desert island.” – Baltasar Gracian
- “Friendship is the only flower that blooms in all seasons.” – Unknown
- “A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself.” – Jim Morrison
4. How to celebrate International Day of Friendship?
4.1. Do fun things with your friends
If you are looking for some ideas for a hangout with your group of friends, the possibilities are endless. These are 15 most common suggestions:
- Have a picnic in the park or at the beach.
- Organize a movie night or binge-watch a favorite TV series together.
- Go on a hike or explore a new trail.
- Have a game night with board games, card games, or video games.
- Take a cooking or baking class together and enjoy the delicious results.
- Have a DIY craft or pottery session and create something unique together.
- Go on a bike ride or rent bicycles to explore your neighborhood.
- Take a hobby class or try out a new fitness activity together.
- Volunteer for a community service project or charity event.
- Visit a local museum, art gallery, or exhibition.
- Have a potluck dinner where everyone brings a dish to share.
- Attend a live concert, theater performance, or sporting event.
- Go on a shopping spree or explore a local flea market or thrift store.
- Revisit some of the old places your group used to meet at.
- Organize a group photo session to preserve the memories.
4.2. Befriend a new person
The International Day of Friendship is the perfect occasion to extend your circle of friends by befriending a new person. Taking the initiative to make a new friend can be a rewarding and fulfilling experience.
Start by being open and approachable, showing genuine interest in others. Engage in conversations, listen attentively, and find common ground. Be kind, empathetic, and supportive.
Embrace diversity and celebrate the opportunity to form new connections that can enrich your life and broaden your perspectives. Remember, a simple act of reaching out can lead to a lifelong friendship and make this day even more meaningful.
4.3. Participate in a social event on the International Friendship Day
Taking part in a social event is a wonderful way to celebrate and strengthen the bonds of friendship. These events provide an opportunity to connect with friends, both old and new, while embracing the spirit of unity and camaraderie.
Whether it is a community gathering, a friendship-themed party, or a special event organized by local organizations, these social occasions create an atmosphere of joy and togetherness. It is a chance to engage in conversations, share laughter, and create lasting memories.
4.4. Experience group travel
This idea will require quite a bit of planning, but it will surely create some unforgettable memories for you and your friends. Planning a group travel adventure for the International Day of Friendship can be very busy but equally exciting. Here are some key considerations to ensure a successful and enjoyable trip:
- Choose a destination: Consider factors such as budget, accessibility, and the type of experiences you want to have.
- Set a budget: Determine a budget that works for everyone in the group.
- Choose dates: Find a period that works for everyone and aligns with the International Day of Friendship.
- Plan an itinerary: Collaboratively create an itinerary that balances group activities and personal time.
- Assign responsibilities: Delegate tasks among group members to ensure a smooth planning process.
- Book accommodation and transportation: Research and make bookings that suit the group’s preferences and budget.
- Communicate and share information: Utilize group messaging apps or platforms to stay connected and informed.
- Enjoy the journey: Be open to new experiences, respect each other’s preferences, and cherish the moments shared together.
Notably, Vietnam is a fantastic destination for group travel, offering a myriad of experiences that will delight everyone. Here are some reasons why Vietnam should be considered for your adventure:
- Rich cultural heritage: You will get to immerse yourselves in Vietnam’s vibrant culture and history.
- Breathtaking landscapes: Vietnam boasts diverse and breathtaking landscapes that will captivate your group.
- Delicious cuisine: Vietnam’s world-renowned culinary delights will tantalize your taste buds.
- Adventure opportunities: Vietnam offers thrilling adventures for every type of traveler.
- Warm hospitality: Vietnamese people are known for their warm and welcoming nature.
- Affordable travel: Vietnam offers excellent value for money, making it an ideal destination for group travel on various budgets.
- Diverse activities: Whether your group enjoys history, adventure, relaxation, or shopping, there is something for everyone.
- Memorable experiences: The shared adventure strengthens the bond of friendship among your travel companions.
For accommodations in Vietnam, Vinpearl hotels and resorts offer exceptional facilities and services, providing guests with a luxurious and unforgettable stay. In addition, Vinpearl is also known for the entertainment complex of VinWonders, adding even more excitement and joy to your group travel.
The International Day of Friendship serves as a powerful reminder of the immense value of friendship in our life. This special day encourages us to appreciate the friends who have stood by us, to mend broken bonds, and to extend a hand of friendship to new acquaintances. To celebrate this day, you have a variety of options to make invaluable memories with your friends and make new ones in the process. Embrace the spirit of harmony and enjoy this day to the fullest.