Noi Bai International Airport serves tens of millions of arrivals and departures, both domestically and internationally, from and to Hanoi every year. It plays an important role in the economic, tourism, and cultural development of Hanoi and northern provinces. If you are about to start your Hanoi travel journey with a flight to Noi Bai Airport, the following information is undoubtedly essential.
1. Where is Noi Bai International Airport Hanoi Vietnam?
- Noi Bai International Airport address: Phu Minh Commune, Soc Son District, Hanoi
- Noi Bai International Airport code:
- IATA (International Air Transport Association) code: HAN
- ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) code: VVNB
Noi Bai International Airport is one of the three biggest airports in Vietnam, together with Tan Son Nhat International Airport in Ho Chi Minh City and Da Nang International Airport in Da Nang. It was established on February 28, 1977. Noi Bai Airport is situated in Soc Son District in the outskirt of Hanoi, which is about 28 kilometers away from the city center.
Noi Bai Airport plays an important role in transporting passengers and goods from and to Hanoi and neighboring provinces. With the second largest number of passengers going from and to Vietnam, Noi Bai International Airport contributes significantly to the development of tourism and economy of Hanoi in particular and the northern region in general.
Many Vietnamese and foreign airlines have flights from and to Noi Bai Airport. Some Vietnamese airlines such as Vietnam Airlines, Vietjet Air, Bamboo Airways, and Vietravel Airlines operate domestic flights. Regarding international travels, besides Vietnam Airlines, there are many foreign airlines such as Korean Air, China Airlines, Japan Airlines, etc.
2. The establishment and development of Noi Bai Airport
Noi Bai International Airport used to be a military base of the Vietnam Air Force during the resistance war against foreign invaders. In 1977, the airport was upgraded and renovated to serve both military and civil flights. It welcomed the very first international flights in 1978.
In 2001, after six years of construction, Noi Bai International Airport Terminal 1 was finally inaugurated, serving both domestic and international passengers. It was not until 2015, when Terminal 2 (serving international flights) was inaugurated, that Terminal 1 switched to serving domestic flights only.
Noi Bai International Airport has been a member of the Airports Corporation of Vietnam since 2012.
3. The modern infrastructure of Noi Bai International Airport
Noi Bai International Airport not only is a civil airport but also serves military flight operations. In the south of the runway is the civil area, while the military area is in the north. Noi Bai Airport offers around-the-clock services and can accept both scheduled and erratic flights as well as personal aircraft. You can find a Noi Bai Airport map online or at any hall inside the airport.
The airport has two parallel runways, 11L/29R and 11R/29L, which are 250 meters away from each other. Simultaneous takeoffs and landings are not allowed.
- 11L/29R (1A): 3,200 meters long and 45 meters wide
- 11R/29L (1B): 3,800 meters long and 45 meters wide
3.2. Aircraft aprons
The aprons at Hanoi Noi Bai International Airport currently have 47 aircraft parking spots. There is an isolation apron in the north which shares borders with a military area, and a VAECO apron for aircraft repair and maintenance, both of which can be used in emergency situations.
- T1: 230,000 square meters, 23 aircraft parking stands
- T2: 280,000 square meters, 24 aircraft parking stands
3.3. Passenger terminals
Noi Bai International Airport Hanoi Vietnam consists of two terminals: one for domestic flights and one for international ones.
- Noi Bai International Airport terminal 1: 115,000 square meters, with an annual capacity of 15 million passengers
- Noi Bai International Airport terminal 2: 139,216 square meters, with an annual capacity of 10 million passengers
4. Typical Noi Bai International Airport ground services
Noi Bai International Airport Hanoi is currently providing the following ground services to meet the needs of passengers:
- ATM service: ATMs are located in the lobby area on the first floor of Terminal 1 and the west and east wings of Terminal 2
- Free trolley service: You can get a trolley on the second floor of Lobby A, B, E of Terminal 1, and the departure and arrival lounge area of Terminal 2
- Luggage packing service: The second floor of Lobby A, B, E of Terminal 1 and the lobby area on the third floor of Terminal 2
- Free battery charging service:
- Terminal 1: Lobby A-E and the departure lounge area on the second floor
- Terminal 2: The lobby area on the third floor and the departure lounge area
- Food: There are several food stalls inside Noi Bai International Airport. Passengers can easily find them at both terminals’ lobby and departure lounges.
- Sleeping pods: there are 4-square-meter-large sleeping pods inside the airport, where passengers can enjoy a quick nap. Suitable for early morning departures, long-scheduled transfers, and unexpected delays.
- Terminal 1: second and third floor
- Terminal 2: second floor
- Noi Bai International Airport shops: There are souvenir shops in the departure lounges of both terminals selling Vietnamese specialties, handicrafts, textiles, cosmetics, accessories, etc.
- Other services: Noi Bai International Airport duty free shops, locker rooms, etc.
5. Airlines flying from/to Noi Bai International Airport
Noi Bai International Airport serves as a major hub for a variety of airlines, connecting Hanoi to numerous destinations worldwide. There are a large number of airlines operating regular flights from and to this Hanoi international airport, including 5 domestic airlines: Vietnam Airlines, Bamboo Airways, Vietjet Air, Pacific Airlines, Vietravel Airlines, and more than 20 international airlines such as Cathay Pacific, Korean Air, Hong Kong Airlines, Thai Airways, Lao Airlines, Japan Airlines, Air Asia, etc.
6. How to get from Noi Bai International Airport to Hanoi and vice versa?
Located only 28 kilometers away from the city center, the airport can be reached by different means of transportation:
6.1. By bus
Depending on the place you stay, you can take different bus routes to reach the airport:
- From Cau Giay District: Bus No. 07
- From Long Bien District: Bus No. 17
- From Nam Tu Liem District: Bus No. 109
- From Hanoi city center (Ba Dinh District, Hoan Kiem District, Hai Ba Trung District, Tay Ho District): Bus No. 90 and bus 86 Noi Bai Airport
- From Ha Dong District: Bus No. 68
- Other bus routes: Bus No. NB01, NB02, and NB03
You can easily find the most suitable bus route by looking up on Google Maps and Hanoi bus’s website: timbus.vn
6.2. Airport shuttle bus
Some airlines offer 16 or 45-seat shuttle buses from Hanoi city center to Noi Bai Airport and vice versa. You can find them at the bus stop in front of Terminal 1. It costs 40,000 VND per person for a one-way ticket.
6.3. Noi Bai Airport taxi
Going from Hanoi city center to Noi Bai International Airport and vice versa by taxi is another great choice. You can ask your hotel receptionist to book a taxi for you or you can book one yourself on the internet. It normally costs from 180,000 – 250,000 VND to go from Hanoi city center to Noi Bai. If you are farther away, such as in Nam Tu Liem District or Ha Dong District, it will cost you 20,000 – 50,000 VND more.
One convenient way to book a taxi for your journey from Hanoi city center to Noi Bai International Airport is through XANH SM Taxi. XANH SM Taxi – the first electric taxi company in Vietnam, operated entirely with VinFast electric cars. Customers who travel by XANH SM taxi not only receive an excellent standard of service, but they also join XANH SM in its efforts to reduce vehicle emissions and safeguard the environment. XANH SM provides standard and luxury taxi service, airport taxi, with attractive promotions. Customers can easily book a taxi in 04 ways:
(1) Call the national hotline 1900 2088
(2) Wave on the street like a traditional taxi
(3) Book on the Taxi Xanh SM app. Click HERE to download the app
(4) Use the beVinFast service on the multi-service customer platform BE to book Xanh SM taxi
This airport is the gateway to Hanoi – the city with countless tourist attractions that could easily capture travelers’ hearts. If you are about to take flights to Noi Bai International Airport, remember to spend some days exploring the charm of the capital, especially its reputable attractions such as Hoan Kiem Lake, Hanoi Old Quarter, Ba Dinh Square, Temple of Literature, Ba Vi National Park, to name a few.
If you come with kids and prefer an entertaining outing in this metropolis, consider visiting VinKE. It is a huge indoor amusement center that offers hundreds of career-oriented games as well as thrilling games for your family to enjoy. Moreover, nearby is Vinpearl Aquarium – the most modern aquarium in Hanoi, where you will be left in awe by the colorful life of the marine species here.
>>> Book tickets of VinKE & Vinpearl Aquarium to have a fancy outing in Hanoi!
As one of the busiest international airports in Vietnam, from Noi Bai International Airport, travelers can also take flights to other destinations in other regions such as Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang, etc. These places possess not only beautiful natural scenery but also rich cultural values. To have a flawless trip to these destinations, it is advisable to plan everything carefully in advance, from where to stay, which tourist attractions to visit, which delicacies to eat, etc.
In case you do not know where to have your overnight stay, consider Vinpearl. It is a leading hospitality brand in Vietnam with a system of luxury hotels and resorts in many famous destinations. The service is top-notch and will never let you down.
As the gateway to Hanoi and the northern provinces, Noi Bai International Airport plays a significant role in boosting the development of transportation, tourism, and economy of the whole region. Hopefully, the information provided above will help you have smooth flights from and to this airport.
>>> Book tickets of VinKE & Vinpearl Aquarium to explore Hanoi in a new way!