As an exotic island in Kien Giang Province, Phu Quoc, Vietnam is crowded with tourists from all over the world who want to enjoy their dream-like vacations with their beloved. With the following interesting Phu Quoc travel guide, you will surely have to prepare your luggage to go to this beautiful island right away!
1. About Phu Quoc Island in Vietnam
Before traveling to Phu Quoc, the first and most important thing to do is read about the location and some outstanding features of this island:
1.1. Where is Phu Quoc Island?
Located in the Gulf of Thailand, Phu Quoc is recognized as the largest island in Vietnam. This island, together with Tho Chu Archipelago and other smaller neighboring islands, makes up an ideal complex of tourist attractions in Kien Giang Province, which is in the south of the country. In Southern Vietnam, visitors can indulge in the pristine beaches, lush tropical forests, and vibrant local cultural customs, making it the perfect destination for a relaxing getaway.
1.2. Why is Phu Quoc worth visiting?
The pearl island possesses a variety of beautiful beaches stretching from the north to the south. 99 mountains, majestic hills, and primeval forests with diverse flora and fauna feature the unique beauty of Phu Quoc Island.
Setting foot in the North of this island, you can have a chance to explore some famous destinations such as Rach Vem Fishing Village, Hon Mot Island, Long Beach, VinWonders Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Safari Phu Quoc,… Meanwhile, in the South, the 12 islands of various sizes located in An Thoi Archipelago will be an ideal stopover for nature exploration activities.
>>> Book rooms in Phu Quoc to experience high-class tourism services!
2. How is Phu Quoc weather? The best time to visit Phu Quoc
Phu Quoc’s weather is cool all year round with two distinct seasons: the dry season and the rainy season.
2.1. The dry season
The dry season starts in November and ends in April. Phu Quoc’s temperature averages around 27 – 28 degrees Celsius during this season. You can immerse yourself in the warm sunshine and cool seawater while sometimes chilling out with the light rain. Therefore, the dry season is often considered the ideal time to enjoy the best moments on Phu Quoc Island.
2.2. The rainy season
The rainy season lasts from May to October. In this period, September and October witness the long and heavy rainfall. The humidity levels range from 85% to 90%. If you choose to travel to Phu Quoc Island in the rainy season, consider some destinations in the North of the Island like Long Beach or Xep Beach in the South.
>>> Book voucher, combo, tour to Phu Quoc to explore the beauty of Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam in the two seasons!
3. The means of transportation for your Phu Quoc trip
To have the best trip ever, you should note some information related to the types of vehicles:
3.1. Going to Phu Quoc Island
There are 2 popular ways to go to Phu Quoc Island from other cities:
- By plane: Traveling by plane is the most convenient and time-saving because there are many big cities with direct flights to Phu Quoc. From Phu Quoc airport, it will take you around 20 minutes to go by car to the center of Duong Dong Town.
- By high-speed ferry: This type of transportation is suitable for those with a low budget. However, because the high-speed ferry will depart at a fixed schedule, you should get on board on time. Otherwise, you will need to wait for some time for the next ferry. You can take a Ha Tien to Phu Quoc ferry or a Rach Gia to Phu Quoc ferry.
3.2. Getting around in Phu Quoc
To get around during your Phu Quoc travel, you can choose from 3 options below:
- Renting a motorbike: Most Phu Quoc attractions are quite far apart. Therefore, it will be easier for you to go from one place to another if you rent a motorbike. The rental cost is quite low, from 120,000 VND/day to 150,000 VND/day, depending on the type of motorbike.
- Renting a car without driver: For families or groups of friends traveling to Phu Quoc, renting a car will make the journey more comfortable. The average price for this service ranges from 700,000/day to 1,300,000 VND/day.
- Taking a taxi: This is the most convenient option for Phu Quoc tourist groups of 2-3 people. With this option, the cost will be reduced because it is divided equally per capita. Normally, the taxi fare in Phu Quoc is about 12,000 – 20,000 VND/kilometer.
- Bringing your own vehicle to Phu Quoc Island: If you want to bring a personal motorbike to the island, you need to book for its transportation. It will cost you around 150,000 – 180,000 VND, depending on the type of motorbike.
4. The not-to-be-missed tourist attractions in Phu Quoc, Vietnam
Below are 10 famous Phu Quoc attractions that you should not miss during the trip to this island:
4.1. VinWonders Phu Quoc
VinWonders Phu Quoc is among the largest theme parks in Vietnam and one of the top-rated theme parks in Southeast Asia. It is located in Phu Quoc United Center, a super complex of resorts and entertainment at Long Beach.
With 6 subdivisions in 12 themes in an area of 46.7 hectares, it is considered one of the most attractive tourist destinations in Phu Quoc. There are a lot of exciting activities here which are suitable for a large number of tourists, especially children.
>>> Book tickets VinWonders Phu Quoc in advance to prepare for the best experience during your Phu Quoc travel!
4.2. Vinpearl Safari Phu Quoc
Recognized as the first semi-wildlife conservation area in Vietnam, Vinpearl Safari Phu Quoc stretches over an area of 380 hectares with more than 150 species living here. Among them, there are some rare animals such as the South African rhinoceros, the Indian tigers, the Kenyan zebras,… In addition, you will have a chance to enjoy a lot of unique animal shows when visiting this place.
>>> Book combo VinWonders + Vinpearl Safari Phu Quoc, Vietnam to get the best deals!
4.3. Grand World Phu Quoc
Grand World Phu Quoc is known as “The city that never sleeps” in the pearl island. With a series of exciting activities, shopping and festivals around the clock, you will definitely experience a lot of surprises when coming there. Also, this place is an extremely lively place to visit and take photos thanks to its magnificent architecture and busy streets.
4.4. Ong Lang Beach
Known as the “Maldives of the pearl island”, Ong Lang Beach has a stunning natural beauty and has become one of the top-rated beaches in Phu Quoc. Coming there, many tourists love soaking in the seawater for a long time to feel the ocean waves. Furthermore, camping at the beach is an indispensable activity in this beautiful beach.
4.5. Starfish Beach
With a 7-kilometer long sandy coast, Starfish Beach has a very unique beauty in the shape of an arc. In particular, you can find that the sea here is very calm and clear, even in the rainy season. Additionally, the water here is not as deep as in other beaches in Phu Quoc Island. Therefore, in Sao Beach Phu Quoc Vietnam, it is relatively safe for families with young children to go swimming.
4.6. Phu Quoc National Park
If you are a nature lover, Phu Quoc National Park is truly an ideally unparalleled destination to which you have to pay a visit. This place will bring you closer to nature while you lie back on the flat rocks and listen to the cheerful bird songs. All of these will promisingly be unforgettable moments for those who come to this paradise.
4.7. Phu Quoc Prison
Located at 350 Nguyen Van Cu, An Thoi Commune, Phu Quoc Prison used to be the place where prisoners of the Republic of Vietnam were kept. In 1995, the prison was recognized as a national historical relic and is now served as a tourist destination. Here, you will learn about the historical imprints of many heroes who underwent countless terrifying punishments.
4.8. Khem Beach
Khem Beach is considered one of the best Phu Quoc beaches that tourists should not miss. It is a dream-like travel destination for beachgoers thanks to its picturesque scenery of triumphant blue water. Visiting Khem Beach, you should not forget to try swimming, watching the romantic sunrise and sunset or playing water sports.
4.9. Ham Ninh Fishing Village
Ham Ninh Fishing Village is one of the highlights of Phu Quoc tourism as well as the main source of seafood for the locals. The wide and cool beach in the village provides an impressive background for young people to take photos. This is also a favorite destination for foodies with plenty of fresh seafood dishes.
4.10. Phu Quoc Night Market
Your trip to the pearl island will not be complete if you do not visit Phu Quoc Night Market. Here, you can savor a lot of tasty dishes and immerse yourself in the hustle and bustle of Phu Quoc City at night. Also, you can buy cheap dried seafood at the market to give to your relatives after returning from your vacation.
>>> For more interesting activities, explore the top things to do in Phu Quoc now!
5. What are the top Phu Quoc specialties and recommended places to eat?
Here are top 5 Phu Quoc foods you should enjoy once:
5.1. Ken noodles
The name of Ken noodles comes from the Khmer people, which means a dish made from coconut milk. It is rarely mentioned on the culinary map of Vietnam, however, many gourmet tourists will surely know this rustic dish in Phu Quoc Island.
To make this dish, people process barracuda or silverfish – 2 types of fish which are almost exclusively found in the pearl island. Thanks to that, it has a very unique flavor.
5.2. Salad from herring
Salad from herring is a nutritious dish which is a harmonious combination of fresh fish meat and vegetables. The proper way to eat this dish is to spread the rice paper, layer it with raw vegetables and a few pieces of herring, then gently roll it up, dip it in the fish sauce and slowly enjoy it.
5.3. Steamed Ham Ninh crab
Ham Ninh crab has firm meat and a natural sweet taste. It can be processed into many delicious dishes such as crab porridge, crab hotpot, beer steamed crab,… The most popular dish made from Ham Ninh crab is probably the steamed crab. It is most delicious when being dipped with salt, pepper and a thin stream of lemon juice.
5.4. Grilled sea-urchin
Sea urchin is one of the famous Phu Quoc specialties and a must-try dish when you visit Phu Quoc night market. The people of Phu Quoc pearl island liken it to the ginseng of the sea because of not only its delicious taste but also its health benefits.
10 must-try Phu Quoc foods and 5 Phu Quoc restaurants recommended for you
6. Where to stay in Phu Quoc Island? Tips for your accommodation booking
Phu Quoc Island’s accommodation is an extremely important factor which you should put into concern. There are many criteria for you to decide on where to stay in Phu Quoc Island. As an attractive tourist destination, it has many kinds of accommodation for you to choose from such as homestays, motels, hostels, Phu Quoc 5 star hotels, Phu Quoc 5 star resorts,…
However, you need to consider your hobbies, finances, companions and the purpose of your Phu Quoc trip to make a reasonable decision. Possessing a prime location at Long Beach with the pristine charm, Vinpearl Phu Quoc is one of the top choices of tourists who want to relax in a perfect way during their vacations.
Each hotel chain of the Vinpearl system has its own identity with outstanding features such as high-class spas and luxurious rooms. In particular, there is a huge infinity swimming pool with a view embracing the romantic coastline here. Therefore, it will meet all of your demands during the trip to Phu Quoc Island.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Phu Quoc to experience high-class tourism services!
7. More recommendations for your travel to Phu Quoc
For more tips to enjoy a perfect trip to Phu Quoc Island, the information below will be helpful:
7.1. What should you prepare before and during the trip?
Here are what you should prepare for your excursion in Phu Quoc:
- Essential documents: You should bring your identity card for checking purposes at the airport or hotel, or buying tickets. Otherwise, you could get into some unexpected troubles.
- Clothing: You should prepare suitable kinds of clothes for corresponding activities, such as swimsuits, lovely dresses, shorts,… They will be helpful if you want to take more photos.
- Cash: For convenience, in addition to ATM cards, you should also prepare some cash in your wallet in case of an emergency.
- Other personal belongings: Depending on your needs, you should bring some other belongings like face masks, cameras, sunglasses, sunscreen, cosmetics,…
7.2. How much is the total travel expense for your reference?
According to Phu Quoc Island review by many tourists, all expenses for the trip to Phu Quoc include plane tickets, hotel fees, food costs, transportation and ticket prices, sightseeing fees,…
On average, the travel expense of a Phu Quoc tour for 3 days and 2 nights can range from 5,000,000 to 7,000,000 VND/person. Specifically, the plane ticket is about 1,000,000 – 3,000,000 VND/round trip, the hotel fee is about 1,700,000 – 4,000,000 VND/person, and the budget for eating is around 1,500,000 VND/person.
However, the cost of a Phu Quoc tour may vary depending on your specific schedule and the activities you participate in. Therefore, you can refer to the above estimated travel expense to make the best preparation for your trip.
7.3. What should you buy as gifts?
If you intend to buy gifts after completing your trip, here are some suggestions for you:
- Pearls: The top quality semi-artificial pearls in Phu Quoc Island are luxurious gifts that you should buy to give to the one you love.
- Dried seafood: Dried shrimp, dried squid, dried lychee, dried flea fish, dried mackerel, dried barracuda,… are Phu Quoc sea gifts recommended for you.
- Phu Quoc fish sauce: Phu Quoc fish sauce has a characteristic flavor so it becomes one of the best gifts to bring home.
- Rose myrtle wine: It is famous for its medicinal effect on health such as treating aches and pains or assisting digestion.
- Kheo cake: It is a rustic cake made from flour and mixed with different types of fillings such as taro, green beans, coconut,… It has a sweet taste that you cannot forget.
- Phu Quoc pepper: Thanks to the incomparable pungent and aromatic taste, Phu Quoc pepper is listed in the top choices for gifts that you should consider.
With the above Phu Quoc, Vietnam travel guide, are you ready to pack your suitcase and hit the road right now? To make the journey perfect in each moment, don’t forget to book voucher, combo, tour to Phu Quoc in advance to get super preferential prices. Also, you should look for more information about Vinpearl Phu Quoc to be well-prepared for the trip. We hope you will have a good time with your family and friends in this wonderful island.