Phu Quoc visa regulations set and enforced by Vietnamese authorities are what you should know if you desire to have a wonderful holiday on this mesmerizing island. As any issues related to your Phu Quoc visa could potentially disrupt your journey, this article will provide all-inclusive information to ensure your seamless entry into this island.
1. Keynotes of the Phu Quoc visa policy
Phu Quoc stands as an irresistible draw for travelers worldwide. It is a year-round sunny haven with stunning landscapes. Thanks to meeting four stringent visa exemption conditions mandated by Vietnamese law, which are having an international airport, defined geographical boundaries, being separate from the mainland, and posing no threat to Vietnam’s national interest, Phu Quoc enjoys the autonomy to implement its own Phu Quoc visa policy.
1.1. Overview of Phu Quoc visa exemption policy
Phu Quoc stands as Vietnam’s unique haven with its exclusive visa policy, offering a host of benefits. Since July 1, 2020, foreigners and Vietnamese people with foreign passports can visit and stay there for up to 30 days without needing a visa. Even if you arrive at a Vietnam border gate and head straight to Phu Quoc after staying in the gate’s transit area, you are also exempt from needing a visa.
1.2. Requirements for Phu Quoc visa exemption
Here are the straightforward requirements for getting into Phu Quoc without a visa:
- Passport validity: You have to make sure that your passport is valid for at least six months from your arrival date.
- Airport entry: You have to fly to Phu Quoc from an international location via Phu Quoc International Airport. Your final stop should be Phu Quoc, and your next destination can be any country except Vietnam.
- Stay duration: You are required to stay for less than 30 days and have to show proof (like a return ticket) that you will leave within this timeframe to get a “Visa Exemption Stamp.”
- Clean record: You shouldn’t be wanted by Interpol or have previously been deported from Vietnam.
- Travel mode: You have to reach Phu Quoc by air or sea, not via land borders.
*The provided information serves as a reference and is subject to change. Visitors are advised to reach out to the relevant authorities to obtain the most current updates.
2. Frequently asked questions about Phu Quoc visa policy
2.1. Am I eligible for Phu Quoc visa exemption if I take a transit flight to the island via international airports in Vietnam?
Absolutely! If you are flying through Vietnam’s international airports like Noi Bai International Airport, Tan Son Nhat International Airport, and Da Nang International Airport and do not step outside the transit area before heading to Phu Quoc International Airport, you qualify for the visa exemption. You need to double-check with your airline to confirm if you need to leave the transit area at Tan Son Nhat International Airport to ensure you can enjoy the visa waiver.
2.2. What should I do if I want to stay in Phu Quoc for more than 30 days?
If you are planning to extend your stay in Phu Quoc beyond 30 days, here are your options for obtaining a Vietnam visa:
- Vietnam visa at the embassy: You can visit a Vietnam embassy/consulate before your trip for a pre-arranged visa that covers your entire journey.
- Vietnam visa on arrival: You can arrange a Phu Quoc island visa on arrival through a travel agent for your entire trip.
- E-visa: From August 15, 2023, the validity period of the electronic visa (e-visa) for foreigners is extended to 90 days. During this 90-day period, travelers can enter and exit the country an unlimited number of times without the need to apply for a new visa. E-visa for Vietnam is available for entry and exit through specific international border gates in Phu Quoc, including Phu Quoc International Airport and Duong Dong Port International Border Gate.
You should remember that the first two options are for those planning a trip to Phu Quoc who have not arrived yet, while the third is for those already on the island.
2.3. How to extend a visa to Phu Quoc?
To apply for a Vietnam visa extension while in Phu Quoc, travelers should initiate the process at least 14 days before their current visa expires. Here is how:
- As the extension requires processing in Ho Chi Minh City by the immigration department, you should prepare to send your passport there.
- Once the extension is approved, you have two options:
- You can travel to Ho Chi Minh City to collect your passport with the extended Phu Quoc visa.
- If you are using an agency, they can arrange to have the passport mailed back to Phu Quoc for your convenience.
2.4. Do I need a visa to Phu Quoc if I enter the island by crossing the land/river border from Cambodia or Laos?
If you are crossing the land or river border from Cambodia or Laos into Phu Quoc, you will need a Vietnam visa. The 30-day visa exemption for Phu Quoc only applies when you travel directly to the island. When crossing the borders from neighboring countries, you are entering different parts of Vietnam, so a valid Vietnam visa is necessary.
While you are in Vietnam, you should not miss out on the opportunity to visit some well-known tourist attractions such as VinWonders Phu Quoc, Grand World Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Safari Phu Quoc, Ham Ninh Fishing Village, Long Beach, Starfish Beach, Phu Quoc Prison, Phu Quoc National Park, Ong Lang Beach, May Rut Island, Fingernail Island, and Gham Ghi Island.
To have a pleasant stay on Phu Quoc island, it is highly recommended that you stay at the hotels and resorts of Vinpearl Phu Quoc. At these accommodations, you will have the chance to experience world-class accommodations and all sorts of amenities, such as outdoor swimming pools, children’s playgrounds, babysitting services, restaurants, bars, gyms, and so on. With an all-in-one system, Vinpearl Phu Quoc can satisfy the most demanding needs of customers.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Phu Quoc and enjoy your vacation on the pearl island!
Phu Quoc’s straightforward visa requirements have unlocked access for travelers to explore the island’s stunning landscapes and rich culture without the hassle of obtaining a visa. Hopefully, this article has provided you with all the detailed information about the Phu Quoc visa to help you better prepare for your upcoming trip to this splendid island!