The province of Thanh Hoa in Vietnam has numerous gorgeous attractions and intriguing cultural aspects to explore, which can either be facilitated or hindered by Thanh Hoa weather. In this article, we will show you the most prominent features of each season in Thanh Hoa so you can consider the best time to visit this destination.
1. Climate of Thanh Hoa Vietnam
Thanh Hoa weather is heavily influenced by the tropical monsoon climate. Typical of the general weather in Northern Vietnam, there are four distinctive seasons in this province. Here are the specific characteristics of the weather in Thanh Hoa City and the entire province:
- Temperature: The annual average temperature is around 22 – 23°C. However, it can fluctuate significantly throughout the year. At its peak during summer, the temperature can reach 41°C, while winter can see it dropping way down to 2°C.
- Rainfall: 1,700 millimeters is the average amount of rainfall in a year in Thanh Hoa. In the mountainous regions, this number is way higher.
- Wind: The mountains see generally consistent wind speed throughout the year. Conversely, the shoreline may experience considerable differences in wind speed due to varying weather conditions.
Furthermore, it is important that you learn about Thanh Hoa weather in its three major parts, differentiated by altitude:
- Plains and seaside areas have a high temperature range and moderate rainfall compared to the rest. It is important to note that this part is prone to hurricanes and floods around September, as well as drought and cold from December to February.
- Midland areas: As you move up in altitude, the average temperature decreases and rainfall increases. The risks of natural disasters remain with heavy rain, prolonged cold, and various types of flood.
- Mountainous areas: With a low average temperature range, this part is subjected to considerable cold and fog.
2. Typical features of the weather in Thanh Hoa by season
To choose the best activities for your trip, you will need to examine Thanh Hoa weather by season.
2.1. Thanh Hoa weather in spring (February – April)
Starting off with spring, which spans from February to April, tourists can experience generally pleasant weather conditions. The temperature is lowest in February (18 – 23°C) and highest in April (23 – 29°C). Additionally, rainfall is minimal with approximately 22 millimeters on average. It is highly recommended to join the festivals during this period since it usually coincides with the Lunar New Year. Furthermore, the mild temperature enables visitors to explore the natural beauty of the province, namely at Ben En National Park.
2.2. Thanh Hoa weather in summer (May – August)
As summer rolls over, Thanh Hoa Vietnam weather makes the province become a prime example of a tropical destination. The temperature rises significantly, potentially reaching up to 39 – 40°C while maintaining an average of 22°C. In line with the rise in temperature, Thanh Hoa weather in summer sees considerably more rain compared to spring, so tourists should pack raincoats just in case. There is no better way to escape the heat here by spending your time at gorgeous beaches to cool off in the water, namely Sam Son Beach and Hai Tien Beach.
2.3. Thanh Hoa weather in autumn (September – October)
When autumn comes, Thanh Hoa reverts back to a pleasant atmosphere, fitting for a peaceful tour exploring the natural beauty of the province. Both the temperature and rainfall decrease to around the average mark, enabling tourists to enjoy their trip without worrying about the heat or heavy rain. This is why Pu Luong or Hieu Waterfall are some of the best attractions to see during this time.Furthermore, September is also the time for the Lam Kinh festival, one of the most significant cultural events of Thanh Hoa.
2.4. Thanh Hoa weather in the winter (November – January)
Winter in Thanh Hoa covers the city with an undeniable allure thanks to the fog. The temperature continues to lower, reaching a range from 12 to 26°C. Tourists should make sure to pack warm clothes for a trip to Thanh Hoa during this period, as the winter here can get very cold. This is a great opportunity to visit historical landmarks like Ho Citadel, as the enchanting atmosphere can add to the experience. If the cold is not to your liking, you can still explore around the city and savor a hot meal with all the local delicacies that Thanh Hoa has to offer.
>>> Check out this Thanh Hoa map to find the best attractions to see!
3. Best time to visit Thanh Hoa Vietnam
With that said, the best time to make a trip to Thanh Hoa depends on the area you seek. Here are a few suggestions for each area:
- Plains and seaside areas: From April to August should be the most ideal time thanks to the available exciting activities at the beaches and various festivals. However, you should be mindful of the rain.
- Midland and mountainous areas: It is highly recommended that you choose autumn to visit this part thanks to the pleasant weather. However, the terrain of these areas should be kept in mind.
Other time periods all have something nice to offer, so it is up to the travelers’ preferences to decide which is the most favorable time to visit Thanh Hoa.
In conclusion, Thanh Hoa weather changes throughout the year, characterized by the four distinctive seasons. Each time period has something to offer tourists, so be sure to check the weather forecast and pack accordingly before embarking on your trip to this province.
After Thanh Hoa, you can extend your trip to Hanoi, Ha Long, Hoi An, Nha Trang, Phu Quoc, etc. to fully experience what Vietnam travel has to offer, from scenery to culture and cuisine. When in Vietnam, be sure to treat yourself to the most excellent hospitality experiences at Vinpearl’s hotels and resorts. With ocean-view rooms, private villas, fine dining, spas, and golf courses, Vinpearl can give you the most pleasant time in Vietnam. Furthermore, swing by the entertainment complexes of VinWonders to enjoy all sorts of fun with exciting games and shows.