Vietnamese beef curry is a delectable dish that boasts a harmonious blend of spices, tender beef, and a rich coconut-based broth. In the context of Vietnam travel, exploring the world of beef curry has become a flavorful journey, providing not only a taste of the local Vietnamese food but also an immersive experience.
1. A glance at Vietnamese beef curry
Curry is a delicious dish originating from India, derived from the word “kari” in the Tamil language, meaning “sauce.” It is a complex dish that involves a blend of various spices and herbs, typically including turmeric, cumin, coriander, ginger, and chili. Curry can be enjoyed with bread or rice.
In Vietnam, curry has undergone changes to suit the local palate. It has a sweet, rich taste due to being cooked with coconut milk. Most curries in Vietnam use beef as the main ingredient along with various types of potatoes. The Vietnamese curry broth has a slightly thick texture and tends to be less spicy.
>>> Read on: Vietnamese beef dishes: 15 irresistible picks that you should try once
2. Detailed guide to making Vietnamese beef curry
2.1. Ingredients for Vietnamese beef curry
- 1 kilogram of beef
- 1 carrot
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 3 potatoes
- 1 onion
- 300 milliliters of coconut milk
- 2 lemongrass stalks
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons of curry oil
- 1 tablespoon of curry powder
- Common spices like salt, sugar, and seasoning powder
2.2. Instruction for cooking Vietnamese beef curry
- Wash the carrot, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and onion. Peel and cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- Remove the roots of the lemongrass, wash it, and either finely chop or leave it whole.
- Rinse the beef with clean water and cut it into pieces approximately the size of your thumb.
- Marinate the beef with half a tablespoon of cooking oil, half a tablespoon of salt, one tablespoon of curry oil, and one tablespoon of curry powder.
- Mix well and marinate for about 15-30 minutes to let the meat absorb the flavors.
- Place a pan on the stove, heat 1.5 tablespoons of cooking oil, and add the marinated beef to sauté over medium heat.
- Add the lemongrass to sauté until fragrant. Add one tablespoon of curry oil, carrot, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and onion. Sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add 300ml of coconut milk, 250ml of water, one tablespoon of seasoning powder, and the sautéed beef into a pot. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Stir well, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. Finally, add sugar to taste.
>>> Read more: Vietnamese beef noodle: A renowned dish you MUST TRY
3. What pairs well with Vietnamese beef curry?
Vietnamese beef curry is a hearty dish that pairs well with various accompaniments, including:
- Steamed rice: The most classic pairing for Vietnamese beef curry is steamed white rice. The rice helps balance the rich flavors of the curry.
- Bread: Many people enjoy dipping a crusty Vietnamese sandwich into the flavorful curry sauce. The combination of bread and curry is simply delightful.
- Rice noodles: Vermicelli or rice noodles are another excellent option. You can either serve the curry over Vietnamese bun or have it on the side for diners to mix in as they please.
>>> Discover: Vietnamese rice dishes: Top 12 must-try delicacies
4. Tips for making Vietnamese beef curry at home
Regarding beef, look for meat that is fresh with a bright red color. The beef fat should be firm and yellow, not soft. Opt for smaller, tender cuts of beef and avoid larger, tougher pieces. If the beef has a slightly fibrous texture, that is even better, as it tends to be more tender. To ensure you are getting top-notch beef, check for freshness, fine muscle fibers, small white veins, and fresh yellowish fat.
When it comes to preparing beef, many people clean it the wrong way by boiling it and rinsing it with water. Boiling the meat makes it contract and harmful substances may not be removed. The most recommended approach is to thoroughly wash the meat with tap water and rinse it with salt to disinfect it.
Vietnamese beef curry is not just a dish; it is a symphony of flavors that captures the essence of Vietnam’s culinary artistry. From the rich coconut milk base to the aromatic blend of spices, each spoonful is a journey through a landscape of savory warmth and cultural depth. This soul-satisfying dish reflects the meticulous balance that Vietnamese cuisine is known for. So, the next time you crave something comforting, consider Vietnamese beef.
To get an authentic taste of Vietnamese beef curry and other delectable dishes, you can visit Hanoi, Hoi An, Nha Trang, and Phu Quoc. These are all great places to explore Vietnamese cuisine at its best.
If you are seeking entertainment in these destinations, VinWonders Hanoi, VinKE & Vinpearl Aquarium, VinWonders Nam Hoi An, VinWonders Nha Trang, and VinWonders Phu Quoc are among the best places to check out. There, you can enjoy a wide variety of activities, from thrilling rides and slides to captivating shows and performances. They will leave you with memories that last a lifetime!
As for accommodation, Vinpearl’s hotels and resorts will guarantee you a stay that is nothing short of extraordinary. Each property of Vinpearl offers a selection of luxurious rooms for you to choose from, along with world-class amenities such as swimming pools, spas, gyms, restaurants, bars, etc.