Vietnamese chicken curry (ca ri ga) is a delectable dish that exemplifies the rich flavors of Vietnamese food. This iconic Vietnamese curry recipe features tender chicken immersed in a fragrant blend of spices, creating a culinary masterpiece that captures the essence of Vietnamese cuisine. Read on to discover the tasty Vietnamese ca ri ga recipe!
1. Overview of Vietnamese chicken curry (ca ri ga)
Chicken curry is a dish originally from India, but when introduced to Vietnam, it underwent adaptations to better suit the Vietnamese palate. In the past, curry was considered a special dish, often appearing on banquet tables during ceremonies or weddings. However, due to its delicious taste, the dish has become familiar and is now one of the popular Vietnamese chicken dishes.
Curry is not very common in Hanoi, but in the Southern region, curry is a beloved dish for people of all ages. You can find establishments selling Vietnamese chicken curry soup that have been around for decades in Ho Chi Minh City and the Mekong Delta region. Especially in Soc Trang or An Giang, people consume curry as much as people in Hanoi enjoy “phở”, and people in Saigon enjoy “cơm tấm”. The main ingredients for this ca ri ga recipe include chicken, taro, potatoes, carrots, coconut milk, curry powder, and various seasonings (fish sauce, salt, sugar, onions, garlic, ground pepper, lemongrass).
With skillful and intricate preparation, the dish stands out with its rich flavor and impressive aroma. It can be served with Vietnamese bread, vermicelli noodles, or steamed rice. To enhance the taste experience, you can add chili salt with lime and a mix of fresh herbs, such as cilantro and mint leaves. Not only is it delicious, but the chicken curry recipe also boasts high nutritional value, providing energy throughout the day with the protein and minerals from chicken, along with fiber from vegetables.
Vietnamese chicken curry offers various health benefits, such as anti-inflammatory properties, antioxidants, and anticancer properties; helping protect the liver and eliminate harmful toxins from the body; heart health benefits; and improved circulation, thanks to the spices in the curry powder, such as turmeric and garlic.
2. How to make an authentic Vietnamese chicken curry recipe?
There are many Vietnamese curry recipes and Vietnamese chicken recipes, so what is the most authentic Vietnamese curry recipe for chicken? Let’s explore to showcase your cooking skills!
The ingredients for Vietnamese coconut chicken curry include:
- 1 chicken, approximately 1.5 kilograms
- 500 grams of grated coconut
- Potatoes, taro, carrots (quantity as desired)
- 1 pack of curry powder
- 2 small jars of curry oil paste
- 10 lemongrass stalks
- 2 onions, shallots, garlic, turmeric powder, and seasonings (fish sauce, salt)
Below are the detailed instructions on how to make Vietnamese chicken curry with coconut milk:
- Peel and crush lemongrass for fragrance. Finely chop shallots and garlic. Cut the onions into wedges. Peel and cut potatoes, taro, and carrots into bite-sized pieces.
- Clean the chicken and pat it dry. Cut the chicken into large pieces, about 6-7 centimeters.
- Marinate the chicken with curry powder, turmeric powder, chopped garlic, shallots, crushed lemongrass, and seasonings: 2 tablespoons of fish sauce and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Marinate the chicken for 3-4 hours to absorb the flavors. Stir-fry the chicken over high heat.
- Grate the coconut and squeeze out 1 bowl of coconut cream. Refrigerate for about 1 hour to let the coconut fat float to the top. Separate this coconut fat layer. Mix the remaining coconut cream with water.
- Lightly fry potatoes and carrots to enhance flavor and prevent them from becoming mushy when cooking.
- In a large pot, bring the coconut cream and water mixture to a boil, then add the chicken and simmer over low heat. When the chicken is almost tender (about 30 minutes), add the potatoes and continue cooking until they are just tender.
- Pour in the separated coconut fat. Once it boils, add onions. Remove from heat, plate, and enjoy.
3. Best places to try Vietnamese chicken curry
To savor a variety of Vietnamese ca ri ga recipes, like Vietnamese chicken curry with crusty bread, rice, or noodles, visit the recommended restaurants below!
3.1. Ba Ke chicken curry restaurant (Soc Trang)
- Address: No. 333/18, Phu Loi Street, Ward 2, Soc Trang City
Ba Ke is a renowned eatery where you can indulge in the distinctive flavor of chicken curry typical of the Western region. Here, you can enjoy a tempting plate of aromatic chicken curry with rich flavors and beautiful colors. The curry here is served with white rice or noodles, fresh greens, and boiled bean sprouts.
3.2. Com Vien restaurant (Hanoi)
- Address: No. 11, Dinh Ngang Street, Cua Nam Ward, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
Com Vien is a rare eatery in Hanoi that serves chicken curry, attracting many visitors to taste their unique offering. Despite its small and cozy space, the Vietnamese chicken curry recipe here is highly praised for its delicious aroma. Additionally, you can also explore other Vietnamese chicken dishes, like roasted chicken rice and Hainanese chicken rice.
3.3. Ms.Be’s chicken curry restaurant (Ho Chi Minh City)
- Address: No. 2, Tan Da Street, Ward 10, District 5, Ho Chi Minh City
Ms. Be is a three-generation traditional eatery known for its chicken curry with authentic Mekong Delta flavor and unique cooking method. A portion here includes meat, liver, blood, and potatoes soaked in flavorful spices, served with bread or vermicelli.
3.4. Sinh Ky chicken curry restaurant (Ho Chi Minh City)
- Address: No. 129, Trieu Quang Phuc Street, Ward 11, District 5, Ho Chi Minh City
In Cho Lon, there is a chicken curry shop that has been in existence for nearly 50 years. As one of the pioneers to introduce this dish to Saigon, the chicken curry of Sinh Ky is notable for its rich flavor without being overly intense, making it suitable to pair with either vermicelli or bread.
3.5. Ma Thang Vien chicken curry restaurant (Ho Chi Minh City)
- Address: No.1357, 3/2 Street, Ward 11, District 11, Ho Chi Minh City
Ma Thang Vien is a restaurant with over 30 years of history known for its rich and flavorful Vietnamese chicken curry noodle soup. Each succulent piece of chicken is soaked in a warm broth infused with curry, coconut milk, lemongrass, and chili, creating an unforgettable taste.
Alongside Vietnamese chicken curry, don’t forget to embark on your Vietnam travel journey to experience the diverse and impressive Vietnamese cuisine, intertwined with a rich and distinctive cultural heritage. If you are a fan of Vietnamese chicken dishes, explore other delicious options like Vietnamese fish sauce chicken wings, Hoi An chicken rice, Vietnamese chicken noodle salad, Vietnamese chicken sandwich, Vietnamese chicken pho, and more.
Vietnamese chicken curry is a true gem in Vietnamese culinary artistry, showcasing the harmonious blend of aromatic spices and succulent chicken. This quintessential Vietnamese curry recipe reflects the heart and soul of the country’s diverse food culture. It is a must-try for those seeking an authentic taste of Vietnam’s gastronomic heritage.
To simultaneously explore cuisine, culture, and nature, visit prominent tourist destinations such as Hanoi, Hoi An, Nha Trang, and Phu Quoc. While there, elevate your trip by staying at the luxury hotels and resorts of Vinpearl, which provide international-standard services including accommodation, hotels, swimming pools, golf courses, and many more.
Furthermore, don’t miss the chance to immerse yourself in entertainment experiences at VinWonders Hanoi, VinKE & Vinpearl Aquarium, VinWonders Nam Hoi An, VinWonders Nha Trang, and VinWonders Phu Quoc. These vibrant entertainment complexes offer thrilling games, lively festivals, water games, and a diverse range of cultural activities.