Vietnamese fish sauce chicken wings hold a special place in the hearts of locals, gracing tables in the morning, at lunch, and when the sun goes down. If you are visiting Vietnam, you should not miss out on this beloved Vietnamese food. It will make your Vietnam travel experience even more memorable.
1. Why are Vietnamese fish sauce chicken wings a beloved dish?
Canh ga chien nuoc mam, which is the Vietnamese name for fish sauce chicken wings, are beloved for their unique blend of flavors. They combine the umami richness of fish sauce with the sweetness of sugar, the tanginess of lime or vinegar, and the heat of chili peppers. The wings are typically marinated in this flavorful mixture, then fried to perfection. The result is a delightful balance of savory, sweet, sour, and spicy notes that make them an addictive dish.
2. How to make Vietnamese fish sauce chicken wings?
2.1. Preparing canh ga chien nuoc mam
You can use salt and white wine to remove any unpleasant odor from the chicken wings. Here is how to do it:
- Clean the chicken wings under running water to remove any dirt or debris from the chicken skin.
- Use a mixture of white wine and salt. Gently rub this mixture onto the chicken meat, then rinse it thoroughly with water until it is clean and free of any residue.
- Once cleaned, place the chicken wings on a rack to drain excess water.
- If the wings are small, leave them whole. If they are large, cut them into bite-sized pieces.
It is possible to store the chicken wings in the fridge if you plan to eat them later on the same day. If you intend to eat them the next day or later, it is advisable to put the prepared chicken wings in the freezer.
2.2. Cooking canh ga chien nuoc mam
- Season the chicken wings with spices: 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, 1 teaspoon of chicken bouillon powder, 2 teaspoons of oyster sauce, 1 teaspoon of chicken or pork fat, 1 tablespoon of cornstarch, and a bit of ginger and crushed shallots. Let them marinate for 15-20 minutes.
- Prepare the sweet and savory sauce: Mix 2 tablespoons of sugar, 2 tablespoons of fish sauce, 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce, 1 tablespoon of chili paste, and 1 tablespoon of water in a bowl until well dissolved.
- Fry the wings twice over medium heat to ensure they are cooked through and become crispy.
- First fry: Heat cooking oil in a pan and fry the chicken wings briefly one by one. Remove them to cool.
- Second fry: Reheat the cooking oil, reduce the heat to medium, and fry the wings until they turn golden brown and are cooked through. Remove the wings and place them on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
3. The best sauces for Vietnamese chicken wings with fish sauce
3.1. Sweet and sour sauce
The succulent Vietnamese fish sauce chicken wings pair exceptionally well with a sweet and sour sauce. This sauce adds a delightful contrast to the umami-rich wings. The sweetness balances the saltiness of the fish sauce, while the tangy notes from ingredients like vinegar or lime juice cut through the richness. The result is a harmonious blend of flavors that elevates the wings to a whole new level, making them even more irresistible.
3.2. Chili sauce
For those who crave some heat, chili sauce is the perfect accompaniment to Vietnamese fish sauce chicken wings. The fiery kick from the chili sauce complements the savory and slightly sweet profile of the wings. It not only adds a bold and vibrant flavor but also enhances the overall experience by providing a pleasant contrast to the umami and sweetness of the dish.
3.3. Garlic butter sauce
Garlic butter sauce is another fantastic choice to pair with Vietnamese fish sauce chicken wings. This rich and indulgent sauce combines the creamy goodness of butter with the aromatic allure of garlic. The buttery notes mellow out the fish sauce’s saltiness, making each bite incredibly satisfying. The addition of garlic further elevates the dish, infusing it with a delightful aroma and depth of flavor that will leave you craving for more.
4. What are typical side dishes for Vietnamese fish sauce chicken wings?
Fish sauce chicken wings can serve as the main course when paired with plain rice and a light soup, such as minced meat and vegetable soup. In addition, a side of steamed vegetables will make a balanced and nutritious meal. Another way to enjoy Vietnamese fish sauce chicken wings is with bread, as the chicken’s flavor profile makes for a delightful complement. Serving the chicken alongside lettuce, tomato slices, cucumber, and cilantro is also an option.
Besides Vietnamese fish sauce chicken wings, there are many other dishes for you to enjoy in Vietnam. You should visit Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, and Ha Long to explore the country’s rich culinary scene. In these destinations, you can choose to stay at an accommodation within Vinpearl’s hotels and resorts. At Vinpearl, you can enjoy spacious well-equipped rooms and dine in luxurious restaurants while you are at it.
Once you are filled and energized, consider going to the entertainment complexes of VinWonders, where there is a wide range of exciting games and shows that will leave you with unforgettable memories!
Vietnamese fish sauce chicken wings are a flavorful dish that is greatly loved by locals, which you can easily find on the menus of restaurants all across the country. As a traveler, you definitely should not miss out on it while in Vietnam. Whether you are eating it with steamed rice or bread with soups and veggies on the side, Vietnamese fish sauce chicken wings will delight your taste buds.