Vietnamese flan cake is a delightful dessert that you should certainly try while traveling to Vietnam. It will for sure complete your Vietnam travel experience. But even if you have not had the chance to go to Vietnam yet, you can still make this treat yourself with our help.
1. Ingredients of Vietnamese flan cake
The primary components of this luscious Vietnamese dessert include a velvety caramel sauce made from sugar and water, which lines the bottom of the baking mold. The custard itself is prepared with a mixture of eggs, sweetened condensed milk, and sometimes coconut milk, imparting a rich and creamy texture.
The distinctive Vietnamese twist often incorporates subtle flavors like coffee for added depth. When baked, this custard transforms into a silky, caramel-infused delight, creating a tantalizing contrast of flavors and textures that make Vietnamese flan cake a beloved treat in the country and beyond.
2. How to make Vietnamese flan cake?
- 450ml of unsweetened fresh milk
- 150ml of condensed milk
- 5 eggs
- 50g of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/3 teaspoon of salt
- Place 50 grams of granulated sugar in a saucepan, add a little water, and heat over medium heat until the sugar melts and turns into caramel.
- Pour the caramel into the flan molds then set aside. Be careful not to heat it too high to avoid burning the caramel, which can taste bitter.
- In a large pot, heat 450 milliliters of unsweetened fresh milk and 150 milliliters of condensed milk. Stir to blend the mixture, but you don’t need to bring it to a boil.
- In a large bowl, beat three eggs with two egg yolks. Slowly pour the hot milk mixture into the eggs, stirring while pouring until the mixture is well combined.
- Add a pinch of salt and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, then stir well. Gently stir to avoid creating too many air bubbles that can make the surface of the cake uneven.
- Pour the egg-milk mixture into the caramel-filled molds. Use a bamboo skewer to break any air bubbles on the surface of the cake before steaming.
- Wrap the molds with aluminum foil and steam for about 30 minutes. The aluminum foil helps prevent water from dripping onto the surface of the cake. It is important not to steam for too long, as it can cause the surface to become uneven.
- Once the cake is cooked, unmold it onto a plate. You can drizzle more caramel on top and decorate with some fruit toppings for a delicious presentation!
3. Other popular Vietnamese flan recipes
3.1. Vietnamese coffee flan (Banh flan ca phe)
Vietnamese coffee flan is a fusion Vietnamese cake that beautifully marries the flavors of flan and Vietnamese coffee. This luscious treat combines the rich and creamy texture of traditional flan with the bold and aromatic essence of Vietnamese coffee. Its ingredients typically include usual flan components like eggs, sweetened condensed milk, and caramel. What sets it apart is the infusion of strong brewed Vietnamese coffee, which adds a slightly bitter note and a robust coffee aroma to the custard. The result is a harmonious blend of sweet, creamy, and coffee-rich flavors, offering a unique taste experience. Vietnamese coffee flan is a beloved dessert that appeals to both coffee and dessert enthusiasts, offering a delightful contrast between the silky custard and the bold coffee kick.
3.2. Vietnamese flan cake with strawberry (Banh flan dau tay)
Vietnamese flan cake with strawberry is another twist on the classic flan. This dessert features traditional flan ingredients elevated with the addition of fresh strawberries. The strawberries infuse the custard with a delightful burst of sweetness and a hint of tartness, creating a refreshing contrast to the creamy flan. The bright red strawberry slices not only add a pop of color but also a burst of flavor in every bite. The result is a delectable dessert that harmonizes the silky smoothness of flan with the tangy succulence of strawberries, making it a perfect treat for those seeking a fruity twist on a beloved Vietnamese classic.
3.3. Cheese flan (Banh flan pho mai) – One of the best Vietnamese flan recipes
Banh flan pho mai in Vietnamese cuisine is a delectable variation of the traditional flan. This dessert combines classic flan ingredients with the rich and savory addition of cheese. The cheese infuses the custard with a creamy, slightly tangy note that contrasts beautifully with the sweetness of the caramel. The result is a luxurious and velvety dessert that offers a perfect blend of sweet and savory flavors. Cheese flan, beloved for its unique taste, is often garnished with a drizzle of caramel sauce or additional cheese for added richness, making it a delightful treat for those who appreciate a savory twist on a classic favorite.
3.4. Vietnamese passion fruit flan (Banh flan chanh leo)
Vietnamese passion fruit flan is a tropical delight that blends the traditional flan with the bold flavors of passion fruit. Key ingredients still include eggs, sweetened condensed milk, and a caramel base, but what sets this dessert apart is the addition of passion fruit pulp. The passion fruit brings a burst of zesty sweetness and a tangy twist to the creamy flan, creating a tantalizing contrast of flavors. With its vibrant orange color and intense aroma, Vietnamese passion fruit flan is a refreshing and exotic treat that is cherished for its unique use of Vietnamese fruits. It is a perfect dessert for those seeking a tropical escape in every delectable bite.
Besides Vietnamese flan cake, there are many other delicious desserts worth trying, such as Vietnamese rice cake, Vietnamese banana cake, Vietnamese honeycomb cake, Vietnamese mung bean cake, Vietnamese mooncakes, Vietnamese cassava cake, banh com, banh pia, banh troi nuoc, banh da lon, etc.
To try these treats, you can visit Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, and Ha Long. In these destinations, consider staying at Vinpearl’s hotels and resorts. With luxurious rooms and dining options, Vinpearl promises to bring you an indulgent trip amidst nature’s embrace. Here, you can also enjoy all sorts of amenities such as private beaches, outdoor pools, spas, gyms, etc.
Also, take the time to have fun at VinWonders, a top-rated chain of entertainment complexes in Vietnam that offers countless thrilling games and shows for unforgettable memories.
Vietnamese flan cake is a sweet and simple dessert that can make your taste buds dance. You can enjoy it while you travel to Vietnam, or you can make it yourself using the Vietnamese flan cake recipe we have outlined above. There are many variations to suit different palates too, from coffee and cheese to fruits like strawberry and passion fruit. Consider making all of them and see which is your own best Vietnamese flan recipe!